Reptiles2You Membership

Reptiles2You provides discounted FedEx shipping services to our registered members. Reptiles2You is FREE TO JOIN, simply click the button below to sign up and start saving money today!

Reptiles2You Help/FAQ

Welcome to Reptiles2You! Whether you're a seasoned reptile breeder, an avid hobbyist, or a total newbie to it all, we can help.  We have assembled our Help content into different categories to make it easier to find what you're looking for. 

This page contains General FAQ's about getting started shipping reptiles and the Reptiles2You service (other categories are listed in the Help/FAQ Categories box to the left).

If you can't find an answer to your question, email us - we'll be glad to help you personally.  (If your question is a good one, it may eventually show up here so others can learn from it as well.)

Thanks for stopping by!

  1. What do I need to ship a live reptile?
  2. Am I required to use Reptiles2You packaging to ship with Reptiles2You?
  3. What can I ship with Reptiles2You?
  4. What shipping services does Reptiles2You offer?
  5. Do you offer any insurance for live shipments?
  6. What type of shipping box is required?
  7. Are there any special labeling requirements?


1. What do I need to ship a live reptile?

So you're a newbie, huh?  You've come to the right place - we've got your back!  All it takes to successfully ship your reptile is the proper materials and a little knowledge, and we can provide you with both!

You need packaging designed for shipping live animals (strong corrugated box with foam, deli cup and/or cotton reptile bag).  If you only need to ship one or two animals, getting one of our pre-fab Reptile Shipping Kits is the way to go.  Get one of our kits, pack your animal as instructed on our Shipping & Packing Guidelines page, purchase your Discounted Shipping Label (you'll have to Register as a Member first, and then then Login to do that), put the label on the box, take the box to your nearest FedEx drop-off location (or we can schedule a pickup at your home if you prefer), and that's it!

Read through the rest of the info on this page as well as our Shipping & Packing Guidelines page, and when you receive your kit you'll be ready to rock!

If you have any more questions, email us - our Customer Service Manager Debbie Price will be glad to help! 

back to top

2. Am I Required to use Reptiles2You Packaging to Ship With Reptiles2You?

REQUIRED?... No. Strongly encouraged?... YES!

Parcel carriers insist on packaging that is appropriate for what is being shipped. This is especially important when shipping something ALIVE, and truly IMPERATIVE when shipping reptiles & amphibians. Obviously the carriers don’t want a snake or a lizard getting loose in a carrier hub or the back of a truck – that would not be good for them, and it would be very detrimental to our industry as a whole.

So you don’t have to buy your packaging from us, but you DO have to use carrier approved packaging, (and ours is).

Reptiles2You packaging is approved by FedEx Labs, and offers the following benefits:

  • Sturdy 200 lb PSI boxes (using the more stringent “Bursting Test” method, not the “ECT” (Edge Crush Test) method used by some shippers)
  • Thicker foam adds significant strength to the package in addition to the obvious insulating benefits
  • Boxes are plainly labeled “Live Animal”
  • White boxes with red lettering so carrier personnel can easily/quickly discern that these packages are SPECIAL, and need to be treated as such. (Our sister company Ghann’s Cricket Farm was the first feeder insect company in the USA to ship Live Crickets in white boxes with red text many decades ago, helping pioneer this practice.)
  • Using packaging from Reptiles2You ensures that you are protecting not only your precious reptile, but also our industry overall by shipping responsibly.

back to top

3. What can I ship with Reptiles2You?

Reptiles2You members are allowed to ship live non venomous reptiles (NO venomous reptiles, and no mammals or birds), as well as of course any normal (non hazardous) items, to and from business and residential addresses. All live animal shipments must adhere to the Reptiles2You Shipping & Packing Guidelines.

R2You members must also adhere to FedEx US Shipping Terms and Conditions which specifies items that CANNOT be shipped, which include but are not limited to the following:

  • Cash, explosives or items resembling explosives, fireworks, firearms and/or ammunition (unless you are properly licensed), batteries, illegal drugs, liquor, aerosols, dry ice, hazardous waste, venomous reptiles, etc. 

If you are still uncertain about something you want to ship, email us for guidance.

back to top

4. What shipping services does Reptiles2You offer?

Reptiles2You currently offers the following FedEx services:

  • Priority Overnight
  • Standard Overnight
  • 2Day AM
  • 2Day
  • Express Saver (three days)
  • Ground

All service levels are available to and from businesses and residences.

All live shipments should be sent via Priority Overnight, and only shipped Monday through Thursday to allow for next morning delivery (overnight shipments shipped on Friday would not be delivered until Monday which is obviously unacceptable). Failure to use Priority Overnight for live shipments greatly increases possibility of your animal DYING in transit, and FedEx does NOT compensate for loss of live items.

back to top

5. Do you offer any insurance for live shipments?

No, at present Reptiles2You does not offer insurance for your shipments.

Yes, we know our friends at ShipYourReptiles offer insurance, but it only covers your animal if the package is LATE. FedEx typically delivers 98% of their packages on time, so the insurance only has a chance of being worthwhile 2% of the time (and then only if your animal arrives dead of course). With long odds like that, we just don’t think it’s a good way to spend your money, but if you absolutely must have your live shipment insured, we suggest using our friends at SYR.

back to top

6. What type of shipping box is required?

All live animals must be shipped in a STURDY new (unused) corrugated box DESIGNED FOR SHIPPING ANIMALS. Yes, you can get “a cardboard box” just about anywhere, but boxes that are not designed for shipping live animals are more likely to suffer damage in transit that could endanger your animal. Our agreement with FedEx mandates the use of packaging that meets requirements for live animals, moreover – you owe it to the animal – protect it properly!

The box must contain sturdy foam insulation at least 1/2" (ours is 3/4" for added safety) to help maintain proper temperatures in the inner cavity and to add strength to the package.

The inner cavity must be large enough to contain the deli cup or cotton bag housing the animal, a heat or cold pack if required, and adequate cushioning material (crumpled paper, etc) to help absorb the bumps and bangs that will undoubtedly occur during transit.

Reptiles2You shipping boxes are made specifically for us to our specifications, we offer thick foam insulation, tight-sealing deli cups, and quality organic cotton bags. Using our packaging will help ensure that you are providing your animal the greatest opportunity for a comfortable and safe trip.

Don’t cut corners by using sub-standard packaging that might result in your animal dying or escaping. That’s not good for you or the recipient, it reflects poorly on our entire industry, and provides fuel for those that seek to have keeping reptiles as pets banned entirely.

back to top

7. Are there any special labeling requirements?

YES - federal and state regulations require all live animal shipments to have certain information clearly visible on the outside of every package.

Download THIS LABEL, fill in the fields (scientific name of the animal, the common name, and the qty of animals in the box), and affix it to the outside of the box.

As of this writing, this label meets all federal and state requirements, however, proper labeling is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. If there is any doubt, please contact your local FWS (Fish and Wildlife Service) to see if there are any special labeling requirements for the species you are shipping. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT WE AS A REPTILE COMMUNITY FOLLOW ALL FEDERAL AND STATE GUIDELINES TO PROTECT OUR INDUSTRY.

back to top